This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you purchase through a link on my site, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you.
More traffic means readers to your blog and more potential to earn revenue by helping those readers. Get traffic to your blog by creating compelling content and marketing that content effectively.
Why Aren’t You Getting Traffic To Your Blog?
Ugh, you’ve started a blog and no matter what you do, it seems like you just can’t catch a break. You post awesome content but no one’s reading it. It’s so discouraging. You’re doing everything you think you should and it seems only your mom sees your posts. You thought you would get tons of traffic, but it just isn’t happening.
Keep in mind that most bloggers started where you are now. Even the famous bloggers with millions of page views started out from square one. We often think they were just lucky and magically got the pageviews, but really for MOST people blogging takes a lot of work.
Unfortunately many blog “experts” reinforce our false beliefs, talking about blogging like it’s so easy to do and readers will just show up.
The truth is that blogging is hard work and you must market your blog in order to get enough readers to have a successful blog. I read somewhere that you should be thinking about the 80-20 principal, with 20% of your time spent on creating content and then 80% spent on promotion! This can feel overwhelming, especially if you don’t know what to do.
And you thought it was just writing content!
Many people getting into blogging have no clue how to market themselves effectively. They may intermittently post in social media or they may just write content and hope for the best. It is important to be much more strategic.
You need a plan
When I started blogging, I did everything I could think of to get readers and was excited when I had just a few people show up; however, I soon became discouraged when things did not pick up. It felt like everyone else was going faster.
Growth was much slower than I wanted so I decided to study how to increase traffic to my blog.
Ways To Increase Traffic To Your Website
There are several things that are important in gaining readers for your blog.
Needless to say, if you want to attract the right traffic to your blog, you need to have great content. Yes, there are some sites out there that have “click bait” that attract lots of traffic, but that traffic is made up mostly of one time visitors. Think of the posts that lure you with pictures of how celebrities looked when they were teenagers.
Those sites just go for the click but they do not retain visitors because in most cases their content is crap. It is only there to get you to click through the slides so they can get visits to their ads.
Your content needs to be attractive to readers. Ways to make sure you are gaining traffic for this great content are:
- Pay special attention to headlines. You need to have a compelling headline to get people to click on and read your content. You need to spark interest in your topic in potential readers. Ideally, they will want to look at your content now because they are so intrigued rather than just feeling that they want to save it for later.
- Solve a problem. People are on the internet searching for things that will solve their problems. If you write posts (with strong headlines) that solve problems, people are much more likely to visit your site. People are more likely to be attracted to a headline such as “How To Lose Five Pounds By the Weekend” since it solves a problem rather than “The Dangers of Obesity.” The how to post creates curiosity. Who doesn’t want to lose five pounds by the weekend?
There are certain types of content that people are most likely to want to read. A couple of examples:
- “How To” Posts: As mentioned above, the how-to post is very effective.
- The List Post: Lists and numbers in headlines are attractive to people. An example from my blog is: Five Reasons To Start a Bullet Journal. If you are interested in bullet journals, you may be real curious about what those five reasons are and you may click on the post. (Turns out odd numbers and really specific numbers are attractive).
Content Promotion on Pinterest
You need to figure out where your potential audience spends time and get your content in front of them. A great place to promote content is on Pinterest. Pinterest is a visual search engine where people go specifically to look for blog posts, even if they don’t know they are looking for blog posts.
Think about when you first went to Pinterest. You likely looked for a recipe or some sort of decor item. There were so many results and all of those are from blogs! For effectiveness on Pinterest, you need to think about the user experience, what kinds of things would cause a Pinterest user to click?
- Attractive Imagery – I use and highly recommend Stencil for all of my images. Stencil has settings to get the right sizes, has pre-made templates, and the ability to save your own images I recommend using your own images or images you pay for for most of your images. The free stock photos out there, while acceptable, are often overused. Click here to see where I get my great images.
- Headlines – once again, your headline is going to be the thing that attracts people to click on your posts.
If you create attractive pins with effective headlines, people are sure to visit your site, resulting in increased traffic!
It is helpful to learn how to use Pinterest to get the best reach for your content. Click here for this guide to increase traffic and page views to your blog from Pinterest by manual pinning.
A lot of bloggers report success from this method and once you check it out, you will see why.
One thing to keep in mind with Pinterest (or any social media account) is you want to optimize your account. Pinterest is similar to Google so you want to make sure you are using key words to help people find you. (Key words are words people might search for. For instance, “increase traffic” might be a key word that someone would search for in Google to find this particular post).
Effective promotion on Pinterest will require you to pin not only your own content but also other people’s content that would be attractive and helpful to you audience. I use a scheduler for this because I consistently pin at least 20 pins per day of other people’s content and like to schedule that in advance. I set my scheduler to pin the 20 pins and then use manual pinning throughout the day. Pinterest rewards presence.
Pinterest Group Boards
Pinterest group boards are also a great method of content promotion. The guide mentioned above discusses a strategy for using manual pinning with group boards.
Pinterest group boards are specifically helpful because they put your content in front of other people’s audience! For example, I can join a group board with ten times as many followers as I have on my own and have the potential to get my content in front of all of those people. Group boards are amazing for traffic and I encourage you to go out and get on as many group boards as possible.
I have a group board that is accepting contributors specific to the topic of business, blogging, productivity, and mindset. If your blog is one of these topics, sign up with the email you use on Pinterest below, and then follow me on Pinterest and I will add you. Note that this will add you to my email subscription list.
Search Engine Optimization
A big way to get traffic through your blog is through Search Engine Optimization or SEO. In a nutshell, this means optimizing your content to be attractive to the Google bots.
Google is in business to show searchers the best content. You want to optimize your posts so that when someone searches for the topic of your post, your post shows up on the first page of Google.
A few steps to consider for SEO include:
- First, make sure you are writing for humans, not for robots. Google pays attention to things such as time on site, social shares, links to other blogs, etc. These things need to be done by other people…so once again, your content needs to be great.
- Research which keywords (those phrases people type into a search bar) might bring people to your website.
- Site speed: Ensure your website is fast. Apparently people are really impatient and leave after only 2 seconds (!) if your blog doesn’t load. This is why I originally switched my blog host to Siteground. When I was using a different host my blog was ssssssslllllllooooooooooooowwwwww It is much improved (though I will admit still needs some work). Siteground uses SSD drives (like Apple computers!)
Okay, I am not an expert in SEO and still have a lot to learn in that area. I recommend signing up for a course at the Billionaire Blog Club to learn how to do SEO. It is inexpensive and gives you the no BS, no time wasting method of doing things like SEO.
I gave you a bunch of information and want to do a quick review. There are several ways to bring traffic to your website and I focused on ways to bring GOOD traffic to your site, people who are interested in what you have to say and who are hopefully part of your target market. My recommended ways of gaining traffic are:
- Create great content
- Have great headlines
- Pay attention to the types of posts you are writing
- Promote on Pinterest
- Join group boards on Pinterest
- Use SEO
I hope you found this helpful. For more tips on blogging for your creative business, join 11,417 other followers and subscribers and sign up here for updates: